Milk Bottle Littlejohn Dairy Baldwin Park California
Not much can be found about this dairy other than that it was serving school kids milk during the late 30's in Baldwin Park California. Baldwin Park began as part of cattle grazing land belonging to the San Gabriel Mission. It eventually became part of the Rancho Azusa de Dalton and the Rancho La Puente properties. The community became known as Vineland in 1880. By 1906 it changed to Baldwin Park. It was named after Elias J. "Lucky" Baldwin. In 1956 Baldwin Park became the 47th incorporated city in the State of California.
Another dairy that does show during the same time frame was the Milikan Dairy in the same area.
From the Baldwin Park history..
"The Milikan Dairy was on Frazier and the schools enjoyed bringing kids to see how their milk was processed from the cow to the bottle. It might sound dull by today's standard but you have to remember that in those days not everybody had a TV and then it was black and white with a nine inch screen."
This bottle was found during a brush clearance project in 1983 on Bear Mountain above the San Fernando Valley. The facility that was active in the 1930's was a facility that housed minuteman missiles now leased to Los County Fire by the Forest Service called Camp 9.
- dimension; 9.5" tall 3.5" wide 12" round the middle. Bottle is squire in design with light side seams run from base and end below the top of lip. Smooth base with embossing.
- Condition; VERY GOOD Some scratches some case ware some minor chips. Hard to find Dairy in any condition. Small chip in the top lip with some case ware. Light purple color to the glass due to exposure to the sun.
- Purple tint; The light purple tent shows that the bottle was made some time prior to 1915 when most but not all glass companies' ceased using manganese and substituted selenium as the clearing agent. With this and the history of Baldwin Park I would guess the bottle was produced sometime around 1906 to 1915.